Notice for Maine Residents
Maine Insurer Disclosure of Important Policy Provisions
Underwriter, Producer, Brand Information
Insurance is underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company (NAIC #21113. Morristown, NJ), and produced and administered by PTZ Insurance Agency Ltd. (NPN: 5328528. domiciled in Illinois with offices at 1208 Massillon Road, Suite G200, Akron, Ohio 44306). (California residents only: PTZ Insurance Agency Ltd., d.b.a PIA Insurance Agency Ltd. CA license #0E36937). Hartville Pet Insurance is a brand name.
Maine Bureau of Insurance Contact Information
- #34 State House Station
- Augusta, ME 04333-0034
Please read below for important information to help you understand our coverage. Your coverage starts on the effective date listed on the Declarations Page.
- Chronic condition. "Chronic condition" means a condition that can be treated or managed, but not cured.
- Congenital anomaly or disorder. "Congenital anomaly or disorder" means a condition that is present from birth, whether inherited or caused by the environment, which may cause or contribute to illness or disease.
- Hereditary disorder. "Hereditary disorder" means an abnormality that is genetically transmitted from parent to offspring and may cause illness or disease.
- Preexisting condition. "Preexisting condition" means a condition for which any of the following are true prior to the effective date of a pet insurance policy:
A veterinarian provided medical advice regarding the condition; The pet received previous treatment for the condition; or Based on information from verifiable sources, the pet had signs or symptoms directly related to the condition for which a claim is being made.
- Renewal. "Renewal" means to issue and deliver at the end of an insurance policy period a policy that supersedes a policy previously issued and delivered by the same insurer or an affiliated insurer and that provides types and limits of coverage substantially similar to those contained in the policy being superseded.
- Veterinarian. "Veterinarian" means an individual who holds a valid license to practice veterinary medicine from the appropriate licensing entity in the jurisdiction in which the individual practices.
- Veterinary expenses. "Veterinary expenses" means the costs associated with medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment provided by a veterinarian, including, but not limited to, the cost of drugs prescribed by a veterinarian.
Determination of Claim Payouts
Our coverage provides reimbursement up to the applicable annual limit for the actual costs for covered expenses that you incur during the policy period, after subtracting your deductible and applying the reimbursement percentage, listed on the declaration page.
Premium Increases Due to Pet Age and Geographic Location
Insurance plan premiums will increase as the covered pet gets older. Insurance plan premiums may increase or decrease due to the policyholder’s geographic location. We will not reduce coverage or increase premium due to claims history.
Reimbursement of covered expenses is subject to the annual policy limit you select at enrollment and is listed on your declarations page.
We offer a choice of annual deductible options. The annual deductible applies to each policy period. We subtract that deductible amount from the covered expenses before calculating your reimbursement percentage.
We offer a choice of reimbursement percentage options. After the deductible is met, you are responsible for your portion of the covered expenses in addition to any amounts not covered by the policy. We then pay our portion of the covered expenses subject to the annual limits.
This policy excludes coverage for pre-existing conditions as defined above and in the policy. Other exclusions may apply. Please refer to the exclusions section of your policy (What is Not Covered) for more information.
Preventive Care optional endorsement
Reimbursements are up to the lower of the amount listed or charged. Some benefits are specific as noted. Preventive benefits are paid according to the schedule of benefits provided with the policy, if applicable, and are not subject to a deductible or reimbursement percentage. See below for a list of available benefits.
|Dental Cleaning or
|FVRCP Vaccine/ Titer (cats)
DHLPP Vaccine/ Titer (dogs)
|Rabies Vaccine/ Titer OR FIP Vaccine/ Titer (cats)
Lyme Vaccine/ Titer (dogs)
|FELV Test (cats)
Heartworm Test (dogs)
|Flea/ Heartworm Prevention||$0||$0||$25|
|FELV Vaccine/ Titer (cats)
Bordetella Vaccine/ Titer (dogs)